perjantai 28. tammikuuta 2011

Combined emergency macthes and a reflecting lid for messaging


 Wassup. Today I have a bit more complicated reusing project to show you. Before I say anything else I have to tell you I made this example only for this post and I haven't tried it in action. I'm very enthusiastic hiker and hunter and I thought it would be convenient to carry a small emergency pack with me, something I can put in my pocket - so I made one! The snus pack I used was Taboca white portion.
Above you can see the contents: One boxful of matches, couple of loose strikers, a paper towel and couple of strikers glued on the lid. You can also see there's some waterspots on bottom of the pack. That's because I tried to see if the container holds water. The reason why I destroyed a matchbox is that now I can fit that paper inside with the matches and there's less "worthless" material inside like a badly burning matchbox.
I guess it's pretty self-explanatory what you have to do in order to make an emergency snus pack like above. But don't worry, I will still tell you the instructions :)

1. Get an empty metallic snus pack. Put it in the water to see if it's waterproof. Try different snus packs to see which one holds water the best. If you want to be sure. use tape to seal the crack between the lid and the bottom.
2. See, if lid reflects light well. If not, use fine steel wool to make it shiny.
3. Cut out strikers from a matchbox, glue them to the bottom of the pack or to the lid. Erikeeper will do fine.
4. Get something easily burning material like paper and fit it in to the pack with the matches.
5. Go hiking. Get wet. See if your emergency snus pack stayed dry. Curse me, if not.




 You can see I have used rough steel wool on the lid. It did not really improve lid's reflective properties. Below you can see the untouched bottom which, in my opinion, reflects light much better. I recommend using fine steel wool when trying to improve reflection. Even though a plastic snus pack is more waterproof, the metallic one can be used to reflect light i.e. morse code. Daytime sunshine works as a source of light, nightime lamp works well stand alone or the pack can be used to amplify the light.
Basic emergency signal is SOS ,,, --- ,,,


Oh well. Hope you have happy moments when making this one!

Cheers!

PS: the next post will be published 2.2.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti